Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Made Toxic in China

Some may accuse me of advocating protectionist policies, yet I'm simply of the opinion that "enough is enough." I'm referring to the glut of Chinese imports, which are often found later to not only be cheaply made but toxic as well. From pet food to children's toys to toothpaste, toxic chemicals have been found in all of these Chinese-made products recently.

The latest news is that toys known as "Aqua Dots" were found to be coated with a chemical that when ingested metabolizes in the body to be the "date-rape drug" known as gamma hydroxyl butyrate. It causes horrible reactions, including everything from breathing problems to comas to even death.

Aqua Dots marks the latest in a long line of Chinese products being recalled for consumer safety. In fact, I remember reading recently that Chinese-made products currently account for more than half of all product recalls, although I don't remember the source. With all of the recent publicity surrounding these cases, I really don't feel much need to substantiate the over 50% claim. After all, when its reported over several months in numerous articles among several news organization that everything from toothpaste has been made with the same chemicals used to make anti-freeze to children's toys have been coated with lead-based paint to tainted pet food produced with toxic chemicals causing severe disorders and death to our four-legged friends, I don't see much need to prove my case.

It seems only logical then to not only urge the ban of these imports with our legislators until such time the Chinese can get their act together, but to simply stop buying anything with "Made in China" or "Product of China" stamped on it.

Most certainly, buying food products from China -- and there are more of them than you may think -- should be marked off the shopping list. I've seen store-branded canned mushrooms and apple juice stamped with "Product of China" as I perused local shelves, so they're definitely out there.

Maybe an old cliché best sums this situation: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me". But just how many consumer-safety recalls will it take for Americans to realize this and take action?

No comments:

Post a Comment